Thursday, April 20, 2006

 
My first post!

Since I'm something of an agonizer, this first one was a long time coming. I think I tossed away about 6 or 8 rough drafts before I finally settled on this one.

Some quick notes about myself:
Born in Northern Minnesota. My Mom moved to K.C. Mo when I was about a year old. I didn't want to go there, but I didn't have a lot to say in the matter. I grew up there, and while I value my memories, well, at least some of them, from those times, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and move back to my home state of Minnesota in May of 1973. I am a mechanical designer and have been at this profession since 1973. Somehow, it's easier to write that than it is to write "I've been at this for 33 years." (Ouch.) My hobbies include anything related to aviation (You'll probably read a lot about that here if you chose to return.) WW2 history, American muscle cars, airplanes, crossword puzzles, aircraft modeling, (Although it's been a couple of years since I've worked on one.) small scale gardening, and aviation. Oh, did I forget to mention aviation??? I will admit to left of center politics, having always been a huge admirer of Harry S. Truman. (I've been to his library in Independence many times. If you're in that neck of the woods, go there. It's an excellent place to be if you're a fan of presidential history, or history in general for that matter.) Although those are my politics, I'm not a political junky or anything like that. I tend to avoid political arguments because after all the yelling, arm waving, finger pointing, and hot air, minds are rarely changed, so it seems like a waste of energy to me. Don't get me wrong I'm always willing to listen to other viewpoints. I'll meditate on them for a bit, then decide you're as full of shit as I am.

A very good friend of mine from Nawth Carolinah has been bugging me for some time now to get on the blogger bandwagon, and I must say that I resisted because I rarely read blogs. I mean, who has time to read all that crap anyway? Certainly not me. But he's convinced me to give it a try. Says it's a wonderful way to dump things out and relieve at least a little stress, so I figure "Eh, what the hell!"

Bad news this morning. Scott Crossfield's Cessna 210 has been reported missing somewhere in Georgia. This guy's an aviation pioneer. He made the first X-15 flight, and was the first to travel twice the speed of sound. It's not certain if he was on the plane, but reports say family members have not heard from him since the aircraft went missing. The plane was last tracked flying toward a line of strong thunderstorms. I find myself asking why a pilot of Crossfield's experience and reputation would do something like that. Cessna 210's and strong thunderstorms make for poor bedfellows, but who knows? It's not been confirmed Scott was at the controls, or even in the aircraft. Let's just hope for the best.

I'll probably not be making daily posts at first, but I'll make additions as the urge or inspiration strikes me. This is, as many are wont to say, a work in progress. I'm never able to leave things alone, so if you come back occasionally, it may look different as I tinker with things.

In an effort to keep things civil, I've enabled review of comments before they're published. I'll publish most any conflicting viewpoints but posts containing abusive language, or personal insults toward me, or another poster will be promptly sent to the virtual dumpster. An occasional damn or hell is OK, but post containing excessive vulgarity will suffer the same fate. Those are the rules. If you don't like 'em, well, get your own damn blog.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ..."
Isaac Asimov

Comments:
Welcome to talking to yourself at 2 in the morning. It has it's moments. Don't give it up too quickly.:) Nice start off the line, keep the rev's up!
TUA
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?