Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Mulling things over.........

I've been mulling something over in my mind ever since last evening. Every once in a while, I'll see a story in the paper that reminds me of the frailty of life, how quickly it can be taken from you or a loved one. Last Saturday, a man and his young son were killed in a pretty horrible car wreck. The man's kids had just arrived to spend the summer with him. By all accounts, he was a loving and doting father, and a good family man. That got me to thinking that you just never know when your ticket is going to be punched.


In the past few years, I've been doing my best to establish new priorities in my life. Been trying to pay attention to important things like my beloved sons and wonderful wife. My mooch of a dog, the obvious things. But last weekend on Sunday (The 4th) the sun was bright and the weather beautiful and it was a wonderful afternoon. As I was working in my back yard garden, it occurred to me that perhaps I ought to grab a chair, sit down, and just take in the wonderful day. I did just that. Sat there for a full hour under the shade of my oak tree, sipped lemonade and decompressed. It was great. Best hour I'd spent in a loooong time.


A lot of us tend to get so caught up in the day to day working world, and then spend the weekend working our asses off doing things around the house and yard, and feel guilty it we're not running ourselves into the ground. We think if we're just sitting there, enjoying the weather, the sun, watching the birds splash in the birdbath, (Really fun to watch!) we're somehow wasting time. That's faulty thinking in my opinion. I've come to believe if we don't slow down once in a while, and tell the workaholic voice in our head to "stick it boss, I've got a five dollar cigar!!" we'll surely regret it. Try it. You won't regret it.


One more thing, we've all got relatives who are the proverbial bane of our existence, but we've also got loved ones whom we care for a great deal. If you give them a hug and tell them you love them and recieve a surprised "What was that all about?" reaction, well, you're simply not doing it enough. Don't wait until tomorrow. If you think you've got time, you need to re-read the first paragraph of this post.



"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ..."
Isaac Asimov

Comments:
Do you remember doing that kind of thing as a kid? I think about that all the time. You'd just hang out in the woods. Or lay down in a field of grass and just think and stare at the sky. Good for you for going back.
 
There is nothing, including death, that can't be put off until tommorrow.:) Good post!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?